Today the kids went back to school after some two weeks off school. It was quiet around here! Whilst I love them being home, my brain does need a certain amount of quiet to function, so with a BIG 8 weeks ahead of me, I was stoked to get stuck into my studies again.
So today I want to share with you a family favourite, Butter Chicken. It does require a little bit of planning and prepping, but it is absolutely easy and well worth the effort, I promise you. It is also a wonderful hit with guests as well, just add some pappadums and it sure is a feast!
- 1kg Chicken breasts or thighs (your preference)
- 2 tspns garam masala
- 2 tspns ground coriander
- ¾ tspn chilli powder
- 2 tspns ground fresh ginger
- 3 tspns minced garlic
- 2 Tblsns white vinegar
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ (125ml) cup natural yoghurt
- 80g butter
- 1 lge onion finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1tspn salt
- 3 tspn sweet paprika
- 425g can tomato puree
- ¾ cup (180ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup cream
- Cut chicken into rough pieces
- Combine ground spices, ginger, garlic, vinegar, paste and yoghurt into a large bowl, and stir to combine well. Add Chicken and coat with marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat butter in large pan, add onion, cinnamon, and cardamom and cook stirring until onion is browned lightly. Add Chicken mixture and cook stirring for 5 minutes
- Add salt, paprika, puree and stock. Simmer uncovered for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. It can be cooked for a few hours until chicken falls apart.
- Add cream and simmer about 10 minutes or until chicken is tender.
ENJOY! Be sure to post your butter chicken pictures to our Facebook page with #butterchicken